Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Attempting new ventures...

Many of you know that I started a little 'in home' business almost 2 years ago. It's something I'd been wanting to do for a while, but didn't know where to start. So I started very small. Got myself a business license, registered a name, ordered a very small amount of inventory. And voila, I have a scrapbook store.

Being in a very small town, I had few customers. But they were loyal, and came over to shop at least once a month. Then one moved away, then two. And another. It seems everyone who is leaving town now is not only a friend of mine, but a customer. The store does not quite pay for itself, but it will hold it's own for a while.

In the meantime, I've been looking for a way to supplement my income a little, as I don't want to go back to work fulltime if I can help it. (I remember what it was like two years ago; busy with kids at work, I'd come home supertired and burned out from being "on" with the kids all day. I'd have no energy to give to Abba...and now I have two at home.) I've been looking into a place that lets you design your own shirts, mugs, magnets, hats, etc. You come up with the design, they make it as it sells. And you can use as many designs as you want. So I've put out feelers to several people about designing items for them. We'll see. I'm getting excited about it though. I'm starting with items with a scrapbooking theme, and proceed from there. :)

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Shanna said...

GOOD LUCK DARI! Awesome Idea, and something you will be super good at! I'll see if I can think of anyone to recomend you to!

Kim said...

Hi Dari, this is Kim (Hiebert) Ohlmann. I found your link from Kimmy's blog. It has been great finding out what you have been up to. I don't have a blog, but I would love to email you and catch some more. I won't leave my email address here, but you can get it from Kimmy if you want. Hope to hear from you soon.

Vanessa said...

Dari-best of luck with your new venture! I think people really like customized items--would be popular!

Crystal's blog said...

Good Luck Dari!!! You can do it!!! Are you still going to do teh scrapbooking thing also? They need another place in Snow Lake for gift ideas.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a good idea!! More people would be able to take advantage of it. Maybe you could desing something for the school?!?!? Praying that it all works out :o)

Michelle said...

Oh yeah...will you ship to the states?!?!?

Boo said...

Good luck Dari!
Sorry to hear you are losing your customers though. I hope you don't have to give that up.